Pages

Friday 28 November 2014

Bryan Murray's battle with cancer

Michael Farber's piece on Bryan Murray's battle with cancer for TSN

Despite the fact that this video came out about two weeks ago, I haven't watched it until today.

I think I've been avoiding it. Like Pat Quinn who I discussed in the previous post, Bryan Murray had a big impact on me as a hockey fan, and the subject matter is very sad.

Murray has Stage 4 colon cancer. In the video he says he may have had cancer for ten years. He also says that his cancer could have been prevented if he had asked for a colonoscopy. While Murray seems to be in good spirits during the interview, it is still very depressing.

I have been a fan of Murray before he even came to the Senators, my favourite team. I was excited when the Senators brought him in as head coach, and even happier when they gave him the position of general manager.

Murray, 71, has been working in professional hockey for most of his life, and like Pat Quinn is highly respected in hockey circles. He is a guy who has managed to adapt and excel as the game has changed.

Murray is also a fierce competitor. Fans of the Senators, Red Wings, Mighty Ducks/Ducks, and Capitals have seen Murray show this from behind the bench. In the video, Murray talks about trying to make the most of the life he has left, and will strive to live as long as possible with the best quality of life.

While it is sad that his cancer could have been prevented, I give a lot of respect to Murray for making that public. As Murray says, a lot of people put these kind of check-ups off, and having a prominent member of the hockey community like Murray come out with his experience could help a lot of people.



No comments:

Post a Comment